Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday: Homemade Laundry Soap


I have made several batches of this laundry soap since Little Peachy was born. Currently we are back to store bought, but I may make this recipe again someday.
I found this recipe over at Tammy's Recipes.
Tutorial Rating-- (I will use a three point scale to rate the tutorial with three being excellent and one being poor)
Accuracy of Tutorial: 3
Written Directions: 3
Visual Directions: 3
Type of Tutorial: recipe, laundry
Skill Level: Anyone
When I made it, I used a Pampered Chef cheese grater to grate the soap. That made the job quick and easy. This recipe didn't work well on tough stains and also doesn't mask odors, but for everyday laundry it gets the job done.

1 comment:

ThreeLeggedIceSkater said...

Hi Kristi!
I make my own laundry soap too, very similar recipe, but we keep it in powder form (much easier for storing - I just keep it in a Tupperware container.)

The gelliness of the liquid version (which I've tried) put me off and storing a big bucket (or reusing an old detergent bottle) seemed putzy and heavy.

The powder works great (we've been using it for years, in a regular washer and in a high efficiency front loader), we even use it for Henry's laundry and have no issues.

2 bars grated fels naptha
1 cup 20 mule borax
1 cup arm and hammer washing soda

I use about a tablespoon or so per load.