Friday, May 14, 2010

Foodie Friday: Rhubarb and Apple Coffee Cake

I recently received the mother lode of rhubarb. (Or should I say, mother-in-law lode, since it was from M's mom? Don't worry, I won't quit my day job.) After slicing, dicing, and freezing 24 cups, I used the remainder to make two of these coffee cakes. I found the original recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook. Since I had apples in the freezer waiting to be used, I decided to add them to the mix.

Ingredients:
-1/3 c butter, softened
-1 c sugar
-1 egg
-1 t vanilla extract
-2 c all-purpose flour
-3 t baking powder
-1/2 t salt
-1 c milk
-3 1/2 c chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
-1 c sliced apples
-3 T sugar for sprinkling (The original recipe did not call for this extra sugar, but I thought that it might be needed to take away some of the bite of the rhubarb.)
TOPPING:
-3/4 c packed brown sugar
-1/4 c butter (The original recipe called for the butter to be melted. After doing this, I decided that it may be better to just have it softened and using a pastry blender to mix it with the cinnamon and brown sugar. The melted mixture was hard to crumble sprinkle over the cake as the recipe directed.)

Directions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Spoon rhubarb over top to within 1/2 in. of edges. (I then sprinkled the extra sugar on top of the rhubarb.) Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over rhubarb.
3. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.

No comments: