Friday, September 26, 2008

Foodie Friday: Pork Fried Rice

For supper tonight, M and I dined on Pork Fried Rice. No, we didn't order take out. I simply whipped it up myself! I am hoping that it is a bit healthier this way and I know that it was cheaper.

I started by consulting my friend, Google. I found a recipe I was happy with on the Food Network site. Of course, I tweaked it to make it my very own. Here is what I did:



I started by getting the rice and pork ready. We have a rice cooker, which I love. So I got one cup of dry rice all set and fired the cooker up. Then I put the small pork roast in the oven.





Once the rice and roast were near completion, I scrambled two eggs in a large skillet in 1 T. sesame oil and 1 T. olive oil. Once scrambled, I removed them and added the same oil mixture again. I added 1 bunch of diced green onions, 1 cup of coleslaw mix, and 1 cup of frozen peas. I sauteed the vegetables until the peas were thawed.













I added the cooked rice and one cup of the roast that I had chopped into bite-sized pieces. Then I added 1/4 cup of black bean sauce. (This can be found in your grocer's Asian section.) To thin it out a bit, I added 3/4 cup of chicken broth. I let that mixture simmer until it was the desired consistency. Right before removing, I added the scrambled eggs.



We seasoned the rice mixture with ground pepper and soy sauce. While not quite restaurant quality, we both liked the flavor. And, hopefully cut down on the amount of sodium we ingested. (Here is the steaming hot plate of goodness.)

No comments: