Friday, March 26, 2010

Foodie Friday: Baby Food

I was going to be one of those moms. One of those moms who uses cloth diapers that she made herself. One of those moms that serves her baby only homemade baby food. You know, one of those moms. Then Peachy happened. We did start off with homemade cloth diapers. They didn't work for her. (To be honest, I am kind of happy. I don't know if I would want to be washing her solid foods dirty diapers anyway.) I did make pureed vegetables for her when she started solids, but then I was at a loss as to what to do next and resorted to Gerber 2nd and 3rd stages.
I recently checked this the Blender Baby Food book from our library hoping for some inspiration in escaping the baby food jar. This book offers parents ideas, recipes, and menu plans all organized by child's age. And the recipes go way beyond pureed vegetables. (Like they sounded really good to me!!) I started with the Cheesy Broccoli and Ham Pasta recipe.

Ingredients:
-1/2 c pastini
-1 c broccoli floretes
-1/2 c diced cooked ham
-1/2 c herb flavored cream cheese

Directions:
1. Add pastini and broccoli to saucepan of boiling water; cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Stir in ham, cream cheese and reserved cooking liquid until well combined.
2. Transfer to blender and blend to desired consistency.

Sounds yummy, right? Well, Peachy doesn't like it. She is not a picky eater, but would rather eat the Gerber jarred food or finger food rather than anything I grind or blend for her.


See how happy she is devouring an avocado and quesadilla for lunch the other day? Silly girl! I'll let you know if I end up making any of the other recipes from the book and how they go over.

No comments: