Friday, October 31, 2008

Foodie Friday: Homemade Enchilada Sauce

Its no secret that I love Mexican food. If I had to choose one type of food to eat for the rest of my life, hands down it would be Mexican. I love eating at Mexican restaurants. (Especially for the chips and salsa. M always has to tell me to stop eating them so I still have room for the main course.) I also love cooking up some Mexican dishes at home. The red sauce on enchiladas is one of my favorite sauces in the world. Sometimes I will just go out and buy a can to make enchiladas at home. At other times I will make up a batch on my own. It really isn't that difficult and the homemade sauce can provide a better flavor verses the canned.

**Note: This picture does not do the meal justice. It was very delicious. I may have to work on my presentation skills.**



Here is the recipe I used: (from Brown Eyed Baker)

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons flour

1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce

1.5 cups chicken broth1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion salt

Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
2. Gradually stir in tomato sauce, chicken broth, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes or until lightly thickened. Season with salt to taste.



Before filling the tortillas with a chicken, onion and pepper mixture, I spread some black refried beans in the bottom of each. After spreading some of the sauce in the bottom of my 9x13 glass baking dish, I rolled the tortillas and put them in. I topped the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and some shredded cheese.



Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350. (Remove cover for last 5 minutes.)



I also made some Spanish rice as a side dish. I used my handy dandy
rice cooker to prepare some brown rice and added in some stewed tomatoes with chilies and other assorted seasoning.

No comments: