Thursday, June 3, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?

We finally got our garden in this past weekend. Before you judge, do know that we live up North where you really aren't able to plant until now. I look with jealousy on all of you whose gardens are already producing. (Yah, you know who you are!!)
I asked Mr Cherry, aka M, to build a small raised bed for our garden. We happened to have a large 12x2 that the construction workers building the house next door left behind. Mr. Cherry knowing that it would come in handy some day saved it. And it is now the sides of our garden. Before we could build the bed, though, we had to dig out the grass in the garden area. Let me tell you, I have a new found respect for the pioneers. That sod busting is hard work! Mr. Cherry and I were out digging until dark Thursday night, to prepare for the building on Friday. When I woke up and looked out at the garden on Friday, I found that our neighbor had fashioned a cross that said "RIP Fluffy." I guess the rectangular mound of dirt had inspired him. Unfortunately we didn't get a picture. My dad and Mr. Cherry built the box Friday afternoon and were also able to brig back one load of city compost to fill it up. Monday night found M and I digging in the dirt.. We bought three tomato plants and many different kinds of seed. We decided just to plant the seed rather than to start it off inside. We'll see if anything sprouts or not. I am counting this year as a rookie year. We will live and learn and maybe get a few things to eat.
I took it upon myself to put a fence up around the garden on Tuesday. I bought some steaks and what I thought was 28 feet if fencing. After pounding the steaks in, I unrolled the fencing. Turns out that it was 28 inches high and 5 feet long. Oops. So, Peachy and I went and bought more fencing. I used zip ties and wire to attach the fencing to the steaks. I was pretty proud of myself for getting the job done, but I knew it wasn't to Mr Cherry's standards. Yup, I was right.
When he got home he said, "Look at that!"
And I said, "It probably isn't what you would do, huh?"
He said, "It is pretty ghetto."
Maybe I will leave the fencing to him next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I'm happy to hear that you're gardening. I also love the "ghetto" remark. But my favorite part is you calling M Mr Cherry. That alone had brightened my day. Thank you! -JLS

Unknown said...

We're trying our first garden this summer, too! Just tomatoes and peppers in pots, but I'm excited already! Here's to flourishing vegetables!!!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Ghetto? haha... he's so silly. Sounds like something my husband would say. Can't wait to see it grow.