Friday, September 11, 2009

Foodie Friday: Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake


Wowie, wow, wow. This has got to be one of the yummiest things that I have ever made. (If I do say so myself.) Thanks Brown Eyed Baker for this delicious recipe.

My parents were here over Labor Day weekend. Since it was my moms birthday a few days later I thought that I would make her a birthday cake. Now I could have recreated some of the cakes that I made her in my youth. (I would bake a box cake and then make powdered sugar frosting without a recipe. I would always try my hand at "fancy" icing. This usually involved a Ziplock Bag and dying the frosting. Somehow the frosting always ended up looking the color of mint toothpaste.) Instead, I decided that since we are both a bit older, the occasion called for a more mature recipe. I found this and knew that I had to give it a try.

(I am hoping that this cake made up for the fact that I am not done making her birthday present yet.)


Part One: Brownies
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
3/4 c butter
1 3/4 c sugar
3 eggs
1 t vanilla
1/2 t salt
1 c flour

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 13x9 baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending out over the sides. Grease the foil.
Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on high for 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in sugar. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Add flour and salt; mix well. Spread into prepared pan.
Bake 30-35 minuted or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with fudgy crumbs. (Do not overbake.) Cool in pan on a wire rack. Remove brownies from pan using foil handles.
Cool brownies, then cut them into 3/4 to 1 inch squares for use in the cheesecake. You will need two cups for the cheesecake. What you do with the remaining schnibbles is up to you. ;o)

Part Two: Crumb Crust
(These measurements are for a doubled crust as per the Brown Eyed Baker's suggestion.)
3 c finely ground Oreos
10 T butter, melted
2/3 c sugar
1/4 t salt

Stir together and press into the bottom and 1 inch up the side of a buttered 10 inch springform pan.

Part Three: Cheesecake
3 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese softened
1 c sugar
4 large eggs
1 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.
Beat together cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla, beating on low speed after each ingredient is incorporated and scraping down bowl between additions.
Fold brownie cubes in very gently and pour mixture into prepared pan. Put springform pan in shallow baking pan in middle of the oven. Bake for 45 minuted, or until cake is set three inches from edge, but center is still slightly wobbly when pan is gently shaken.

Part Four: Chocolate Ganache
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 T butter
1/4 c heavy cream
1/2 t vanilla
1 T powdered sugar

Place finely chopped chocolate in medium size mixing bowl. Scald the butter and cream together in a saucepan. Pour the cream mixture over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Whisk in vanilla and then whisk in powdered sugar until smooth. Spread over cooled cheesecake while ganache is still warm. Chill until ready to serve.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Just gained five pounds. Just from reading this. But oh boy does this look worth the 5 pounds!

Michelle {Brown Eyed Baker} said...

I'm so happy that you and your family enjoyed this cheesecake! Happy Birthday to your mom!