Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Owl Birthday Party

When Peachy turned one we had a big party with friends and family. And so we set the precedent of having birthday parties every year starting at one. I know that one year olds really don't understand the fact that people are there for them and their birthday, but I look at it as an excuse to have a party and celebrate the blessing of your child in your life.
And so, we invited our playgroup friends over for a fun party to celebrate our Cream. A while back I decided on an owl party. Someone asked if Cream liked owls, I laughed and told them she could care less and the early years are the years that the parents get to choose the party theme and I chose owls! Since owls are so popular right now, I really had fun finding all sorts of owl items to add to the party fun. I also decided that I would go with the colors of green and pink. Again, just because I really like that color combo. (Maybe the party was more about me than Cream.)
I started by buying a set of clip art owls from the Etsy shop Saraink.

Using this clip art set and photos from the girls' shoot in July, I created this invitation.
As usual, I used Publisher to create the invites and had them printed at Office Max.
After the invitations it was on to what Cream would wear. (Isn't that next on everyone's list?) I thought about making her something, but saw this darling dress and tights at Carters and couldn't resist. I also had a friend here make her an owl clip similar to these that she has on her site. I also used this tutorial to make Cream an owl bib.
With wardrobe taken care of, it was on to the decorations. I made a rag wreath with pink and green scraps I had around using the same method I used for this wreath. The owl is a Cricut cutout I made using one of my friends machines.


I decorated our side table that you see when you first come up the steps. I used some fabric that I had on hand for a sort of runner and also made a fabric garland with scraps from my stash. I included lots of owls, the #1, and a fun magnetic picture board from JoAnn Fabrics.
The pink owl on the bucket and the green owl by the #1 were from The Dollar Tree. They were Halloween decorations that I spray painted.
I made some fun covered buttons to go along with the magnetic picture board.
I picked up the #1 at Hobby Lobby, spray painted it pink, and hot glued pink buttons to it.
I had pictures of Cream sprinkled throughout the house. Some frames I made with scrapbook paper and Mod Podge, some I bought in a pack from Target, and the large pink one I had on hand for anither project I am working on. I also used the owl clip art I bought to make some birthday signs.




The clip art was also used to create Hershey's Kiss stickers. I made up several different stickers in a 3/4 punch format, printed them on a full sheet of label paper and punched them with a 3/4 inch punch. (Actually my mom was here and did the punching in addition to helping with lots of the other projects. Thanks, mom!)
For favors I made owl bags using this Michaels tutorial and for the younger guests I made little stuffed owls modeled after these on Etsy.

 I bought owl items for the favor bags from Oriental Trading along with these great owl glasses.


 Those who know me, know that food art is not my specialty. For some reason, I just can't decorate cakes, cupcakes, cookies, you name it. However, every birthday I forget this and try to decorate a cake. This time, I found this great tutorial form Family Fun. And I was so happy with the results. It turns out if you decorate cake with lots and lots of store bought candy, anyone can do it. I also served crock pot mac and cheese, pasta salad, veggies, chips, and dip.

 Finally, I made this stuffed owl as a sort of autograph hound/guest book. Before the guests left, I had them use a fabric marker to sign the back. Now Cream has a fun reminder of everyone who came to help her celebrate her birthday. (I used a combination of tutorials for this guy and made him my own. The pattern pieces were from this tutorial.)

The party was a real hoot! (And Cream's favorite gift? The box that her water table came in!)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Everything is gorgeous and perfect! And this is why having a girl is super fun too :)

I'm in love with her outfit and little bib. All the little favors and decorations on the tables are fabulous too! Very stylin' for a little girl! :)

Emily said...

Love the owl theme, so cute! The invites are adorable, but the birthday girl takes the cake!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

All the owl details are just too cute. You really outdid yourself. I love the theme so much and I need a little stuffed owl in my life.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Oh, and you've officially convinced me to make a rag wreath and garland.