Friday, May 20, 2011

Foodie Friday: Caramel Brownies

As I surf the web, I have learned to bookmark anything that I find interesting. The time I don't bookmark something is the time I spend hours looking for it at a later date. My sewing and recipe bookmark tabs are definitely my biggest. Obviously I don't always get around to making everything in my recipe tab, but when I need a recipe for something new, it is one of the first places I turn.
I recently bookmarked this recipe for Caramel Brownies from Bake at 350. When I knew we were having company a few weekends ago I knew this would be dessert. It didn't let me down. Yum!!

Picture from Bake at 350



Caramel Brownies (from Bake at 350)


Ingredients:
2/3 c. evaporated milk, divided
14 oz. pkg. caramels
3/4 c. butter, melted
1 pkg. German Chocolate cake mix
1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Melt caramels with 1/3 c. evaporated milk over low heat. (Unwrapping the caramels is the most tedious part of this recipe.) :)

Combine the melted butter, remaining 1/3 c. evaporated milk and cake mix.

Spread 1/2 the batter into an ungreased 13 X 9" pan. (An offset spreader really helps with this, but you could use the back of a spoon, too.) Bake for 6 to 8 minutes.

Sprinkle the top with the chocolate chips and pecans. Spread melted caramels over the chips and nuts. Drop remaining cake batter on top. (Don't worry about spreading the batter out; it will spread while baking.)
Bake an additional 15-20 minutes.

2 comments:

Jena said...

I make these all the time (w/o pecans) and they are delicious!!!!!

Elisabeth said...

This is a Potratz family fave--our recipe uses walnuts instead of pecans--a cheaper yet equally delicious alternative! :-)