Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Candy Corn Halloween Costume

Last Halloween I was so excited to be able to dress the girls in coordinating costumes! I turned to the internet for inspiration.
It was one of my first pins on Pinterest, the candy corn pillowcase dress sold on Etsy by Daintee Designs. And last Halloween I set out to make one for Peachy. I followed my usual pillowcase dress tutorial but before cutting it out, I pieced together strips of yellow, orange, and white fabric. I threaded through yellow ribbon on one side and orange on the other. Since it isn't always balmy in the end of October where we live, I put a white turtleneck underneath along with some white tights.
My mom suggested making Cream's by attaching a layered skirt to a onesie. Perfect. For hers I simply made a gathered skirt out of the orange and yellow fabric and attached it to a white long sleeve onesie. I layered it with some footed leggings we already had to add some warmth.
To make Peachy's barrettes, I started with a base of white felt cut out in the shape of candy corn and layered it with the yellow on the bottom and a stripe of orange on top. I covered an alligator clip with some yellow and white striped ribbon and glued it all together.

You can see the coordinating candy corn shirt I made for Peachy here.
These were the perfect Halloween costumes for a mother of a newborn. They came together super quickly and were easy to take on and off of the girls. They also were easily washed. Super important when dealing with a two year old and a two month old.
And can we just stop for a minute and look at how young the girls look in these pictures? Seriously! I can't believe how much they have both grown up in the last year. And I also can't believe that this was already a year ago! Crazy town.
**These pictures were taken by my talented photographer friend, Nina. If you are local and would like her information, please let me know.**

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I was thinking the same thing -look how little they are! They've grown up so much! Looking forward to this year's finalist in the Halloween costume contest!
Love, Auntie YA

Lisa said...

What a difference a year makes! They are too cute in these little outfits :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

These are adorable!!! LovE this idea for a sweet and unique costume for kids.