Friday, January 30, 2009

Foodie Friday: Triple Chocolate Scones

I just checked out the book "The Modern Baker" at the library and YUM!! Everything in it looks so tasty. I decided that my first project would be "Triple Chocolate Scones." I am a woman who loves a scone and chocolate. (In fact I am in love with any food that makes chocolate socially acceptable for breakfast.)


Last Saturday was the day to make this deliciousness my own. I woke up early enough to bake a breakfast. (That is what happens when you fall asleep while watching the movie that you rented. At least M could stay up and enjoy "Traitor." If you want to know if it was good, you will have to ask him.) And since it is back to being freezing cold here, why not heat the house up a bit with the oven?

These are very, very, very good. It took all of my will power not to continue eating them all morning long. So, here is what you do:

Ingredients:

-3 oz. milk chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (I used left over Hershey's kisses from Christmas)

-1/4 c. baking cocoa

-1/3 c. sugar

-2 2/3 c. flour

-3 t. baking powder

-8 T. butter, cut into 16 pieces

-6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1/2 inch chunks

-1 egg

-3/4 c. milk + additional for basting

-coarse sugar

Preheat oven to 400 with rack in the middle. Combine milk chocolate, cocoa, and sugar with mixer. (He suggests that you use a food processor for all of the mixing. I don't have one anymore as we don't have room in our kitchen. I just used my KitchenAid, and as previously stated, these were delicious.) Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter. (After mixing the butter for about a minute with the beater, I used my pastry blender to incorporate it the rest of the way.) Mix in the bittersweet chocolate.

Whisk egg and milk together, add to bowl, and mix.

Place dough on floured work surface and fold it over on itself several times.

Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces. Pat each piece of dough into a 5-inch circle. Place circles on parchment covered baking sheet and divide each into 4 equal wedges. (Make sure to give each circle room to expand.) Brush each wedge with milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.

Bake scones about 15 minutes. (Until they are firm, well-risen, and a deep golden color.)

These little guys are so good they deserve another picture.




No comments: