Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wisdom Teeth Removal

image source
I went under the knife last Friday and finally had my wisdom teeth extracted. I don't even know if you could call it under knife so much as under the pliers. All four were fully erupted, they were just sitting all wonky. So out they came. The dentist has been after me for years to get them out and I kept putting it off. Last year I chose childbirth over having them removed. I am a wuss and went completely under. It was nice. I have never been put out before and didn't know how my body would react. As far as I know, I didn't make a fool of myself in the recovery room. My recovery has been pretty easy as well. Lets hope it stays that way and I don't get the dreaded dry sockets. Thankfully I didn't have much swelling or bruising, so no chipmunk cheek pictures to post here. I still have the stitches in and am being careful what I eat. Lots of soft mushy food. It is a great post-holiday weight loss plan. (That and the stomach flu I had between Christmas and New Year's.) I am totally craving some good crunchy food though. I may have even contemplated sucking on a pretzel the other night. We gave Cream pumped bottles from my freezer stash for 24 hours just to be on the safe side. I was worried that she would decide that she liked the bottle better and we may have a hard time switching back. My worries were unfounded. She was so happy to have the "real thing" back that she put in some really long sessions. It was hard for me to watch all of the milk I pumped in those 24 hours be poured down the drain. But I didn't cry over spilled milk. All in all a relatively good experience, not that I would want to do it all that often. And now the next time I go into the dentist he won't have to bug me about getting them out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maxillofacial Surgeons, say impacted wisdom teeth need to be removed because they can damage adjacent or nearby teeth and nerves, get infected, or crowd your other teeth. remove wisdom teeth