Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It Could Be Worse

Image Source
I have been telling myself this a lot this last week. Not that things were all that bad, it just was a string of little things that made for a kind of bad week. So, I just kept on telling myself, "It Could Be Worse." Yes, it could be a whole lot worse.
It started last Saturday evening into Sunday when Peachy had a really rough night. Imagine Mr Cherry or I running down to her room when we heard her crying very hard. Now imagine that scene again every hour of the night. She couldn't pinpoint that anything was wrong. When we asked her the next morning she said she just wanted us to come down. Ah yes, it could have been worse.
Throughout the day on Monday it was pretty apparent that Cream had developed the cold that Peachy and I had been battling. She was a stuffed up little girl. Throughout the day on Monday and into Tuesday she started a nasty cough to go along with it.
Tuesday, after spilling my cup of coffee all over the laptop, I made the decision to take both girls to the walk-in clinic. At that point Cream was only sleeping when being held or in her swing and Peachy was complaining of an ear ache.
At the clinic we found out that Peachy had a double ear infection and I received the peace of mind that Cream only had a cold. (That is after paying two co-pays. Gone are the days of the family doctor who will happily see your whole family for the cost of one visit.) We picked up antibiotics for Peachy and were able to celebrate a low-key Valentine's dinner at home.
Now Mr. Cherry says that he is starting to feel sick. So, when Cream was up most of the night, I was up with her. Throughout the next several days we experienced the four P's of parenting messes. Poop, pee, puke, and phlegm. I wanted to take Cream back into the doctor after another sleepless night, but we decided to wait until Friday. On Thursday morning Mr Cherry woke up with a fever and felt pretty crummy so he decided to stay home from work and rest. (As much as one can in a house with two kids under three.)
So we headed to the doctor on Friday morning and found out that now Cream had a double ear infection as well. Thankfully by this point Peachy was responding nicely to the medicine and feeling much better. It took Cream a while to bounce back. She ended up throwing up her first two doses of antibiotics. She also would get hacking so much that she threw up on me several nights in a row. She slept in a car seat by our bed for a couple of nights just to get her draining and to help me get some sleep.
Finally by Sunday Cream was responding to the meds and keeping them down. (We ended up breaking up the dosage and giving it to her four times a day instead of twice a day. Don't know if this is recommended by the medical field, but it worked for us.) Saturday night she actually slept in her own bed and was only up a handful of times throughout the night.
I enjoyed my cuddle time with my girls. I had just remarked to Mr Cherry that I missed the days Cream would just snuggle in with me for a few hours. Now she always wants to sit up and be part of the action. This last week I have loved holding her and watching her sweet face in her sleep. I did not enjoy seeing her so sick, though. I can't imagine what parents go through when they have children who are extremely sick. Once again, it could have been worse.
So, now I am thanking the Lord that he brought us through a rough week. We truly are blessed in spite of a sick winter.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh gosh, what a mess! It seems like everyone is sick lately! Hopefully, you're all feeling better soon!

Covnitkepr1 said...

I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

You poor things! What a rough week. Hope everyone's feeling back to their old selves soon. And I hope you get to take a nap. =)