Friday, October 23, 2009

Foodie Friday: Pumpkin Spice Granola


Its no secret that I love Pumpkin Spice. I am pretty much game to try anything that has pumpkin spice in its name. It all started with the Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks. (I actually think Starbucks started a national obsession with pumpkin spice flavoring.) I have read several blog entries lately on this granola. I couldn't let the fall go by without trying it out myself. I actually made the first batch about a week ago. And it somehow disappeared before I could photograph it for a Foodie Friday entry. (Who knows how that happened??!!!) So, in order to satisfy the needs of my readers, I decided to make another batch. (See how much I care about you? It really is all about you.) This time I took the picture as soon as the granola was in the container. (That way there was no chance of it mysteriously disappearing.)


Ingredients:
3 1/2 c rolled oats
2 1/2 c puffed rice cereal
2 t pumpkin pie spice
3/4 t salt
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c plain pureed pumpkin
1/4 c plain applesauce
1/4 c maple syrup
1 t vanilla extract
1 c sunflower seeds
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl combine oats and puffed rice cereal. In a medium bowl whisk together spices, salt, sugar, applesauce, pumpkin puree, maple syrup and vanilla.
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until mixture is evenly coated.
4. Spread on prepared baking sheets in an even layer.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Then turn the granola over using a spatula and sprinkle with nuts.
6. Bake an additional 15 minutes until crisp and golden.
7. Cool on pan and store in airtight container.
**You can also add dried fruit. I added Craisins to the first batch but chose to leave them out of the second.**

No comments: