Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Desk

Ever since we moved into this house I have been wanting a desk for our main living area. And not just any desk. I had some very specific requirements for this desk. Because this desk would be out in the open I wanted it to look nice with all of our existing furniture. I also wanted to be able to shut it, ala the secretary desk. A bonus would be lots of storage for holding the clutter of our lives. (This clutter currently was being housed on a bakers rack in our living room. I could never seem to keep the rack organized and it was also an eye sore of papers and various other detritus searching for a home.)
It had to be able to hold our laptop for computing and storage. Oh and one more thing, and I couldn't blow the budget on this one piece of furniture.You can imagine that it took a bit to find my perfect desk. However, if you know me, you know that challenges, especially in shopping, don't so much to slow me down. I finally found a desk that met all of my requirements at Wal-Mart of all places. There was only one problem. While the price was reasonable, it wasn't inexpensive enough to sneak into the cart on a normal Wal-Mart run with the groceries and paper products.
For a while both of the Wal-Marts in our area were carrying the desk from their Canopy line of furniture. After several months of stalking, though, the bigger of our Wal-Marts stopped carrying the desk. Did this mean the end of my dream desk? Would the other Wal-Mart get rid of it as well? Would it go on clearance in the meantime or would it simply fade into oblivion? Thankfully, the desk remained in stock at that Wal-Mart and eventually Mr. Cherry and I agreed that we could save up the money that I make selling items in my Etsy store to purchase the desk. Then during our family Christmas exchange, I opened a document box. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice document box, I just didn't know that I needed a document box.
But I did know that I could use the Wal-Mart gift card that was nestled in the box to purchase THE DESK!! We went that very same day to pick the desk up and Mr. Cherry and his sister even got assembled so I could transfer everything from the bakers rack into its new cozy home.
I absolutely love our new desk. It serves all of its needs and best of all, can be organized and shut when company comes. Last week I added the chair, an IKEA purchase.

No comments: