I was very disappointed at my last ob appointment, which was the day before my due date, to find out that I really hadn't made any progress over the past few weeks. I was even more disappointed when my doctor decided that we should schedule an induction. I knew that there were dangers in going past your due date, but I really didn't like the thought of an induction. But as the week after the due date wore on, it looked more and more like I would be heading to the birth center bright and early Wednesday morning to begin the induction process.
I often find that when God puts some sort of challenge in your life, he doesn't take it away until you have made peace with it. That seemed to be the case here. We were starting to settle into the fact that I would get induced. Then, Monday night around 9, I began having contractions. I had been fooled a few times before and wasn't getting my hopes up too high, but as the night progressed, it was apparent that I was in labor.
I was able to grab a few hours of sleep before the contractions started to keep me up. The rest of the night Mr Cherry and I spent resting and timing contractions off and on. (Did you know there is an app for that? Actually we had our choice of several.) We talked about when we should call my mom, who was going to come to take care of Peachy. We decided that 4 am would be a good time. However when 4 came, my contractions were still pretty far apart, so we decided to let her get an extra hour of sleep before hitting the road for the 4 hour drive. When we did call, it turns out that she was awake at 4 anyway. She was on her way.
The contractions did start coming closer together and we decided that we better not wait for my moms arrival. I texted a couple of friends and found one who could be there a little after 8 and stay until my mom made it. In the mean time, Peachy woke up. She wasn't at all sure why I was having to stop and breath every 4 or 5 minutes, but was pretty satisfied with the answer that I had a tummy ache. (Her babysitter texted a few hours after he had been at the hospital that Peachy had a tummy ache, but was breathing through it in her chair. What a little monkey see monkey do!)
Mr. Cherry and I headed to the birth center and were checked out at triage. I was sure that I had made some progress, and I was right, 2 centimeters since my appointment the week before. (Not exactly the progress that I was looking for. I was worried that they would send me home like they had with Peachy.)
To be continued . . .