When my friend Kim posted a recipe for Happy Joe's Taco Pizza it was all that I could do to stop myself from running to her house and giving her a hug. (This would have been quite the trick as we live states apart. Oh, and we have never met each other in real life.) Happy Joe's Taco Pizza is my all time favorite of the Taco Pizza variety. When I am there for the lunch buffet, you better watch out when that Taco Pizza is set down. I will be making a bee line for it at full speed. Kim nailed the pizza on the head. The trick is the combing of re-fried beans, taco sauce, and pizza sauce. Yum to the yum yum!!
Happy Joe's Knock-Off Pizza
-Pizza Crust (I used my go-to dough recipe)-1/2 c. re-fried beans
-1/2 c. taco sauce
-1/2 c. pizza sauce
-1 pound ground beef
-1 packet taco seasoning
-Mozzarella cheese, shredded
-Mexican-style cheese, shredded
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2) Brown the ground beef and season with taco seasoning according to directions.
3) Stretch your crust until they are the desired thinness. We use a pizza stone in our house. I made three small pizzas rather than one large.
4) Mix taco sauce, beans and pizza sauce together. Kim suggests using about 1/2 cup each of the beans, taco sauce and pizza sauce. Spread this over the crusts.
5) Top with shredded mozzarella, then ground beef, then Mexican blend.
6) Bake until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden. Mine took around 15 minutes.
7) Then cover the pie with lettuce, tomatoes and crushed taco chips. Serve with additional taco sauce and sour cream.