Friday, September 28, 2012

Foodie Friday: Caramel Apple Cheesecake

I always thought cheesecakes were hard to make. Turns out that is just a rumor so that those who make cheesecake look good. :o) That being said, there are two things that you can do wrong when making a cheesecake. #1) Not baking it long enough or not getting it to set. #2) Baking it too long and burning it.
When I set out to make this cheesecake, I found another thing that can go wrong. When you improvise the recipe a bit too much. In this case, I think that is what made the cheesecake not set. That and the fact that you cover it in caramel sauce and nuts so you can't really tell if it is done or not.
Never the less, this was a delicious dessert. Maybe not quite the usual consistency of a cheesecake, but you can't really go wrong when you combine cream cheese, apples, caramel, and pecans.
I got the idea for the recipe from the Taste of Home website. I tried to substitute apple pie filling for the apples and I think that was where I went wrong. However, one thing I did that went well was to use ice cream caramel topping rather than making my own. (I really hate peeling the wrappers off the caramel candies. Pain.In.The. Butt. Squeezing caramel out of a bottle, much easier!)
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any cravings that this post may create. Don't come crying to me when you really want a caramel apple cheesecake at 8 in the morning. Okay?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

So...where's the leftovers for your favorite blogger friends? Looks AMAZING!