Monday, February 13, 2012

Scrappy Valentine Runner

I have lots of fabric. I have big pieces of fabric and little pieces of fabric. Yet I still go out and buy more fabric. Lately I have been attempting to use more of my stash for projects rather than falling prey to the siren call of the fabric stores. Recently I made this runner using only supplies that I already had. Isn't that why we have stashes in the first place?

After searching my scrap boxes for pink and red fabrics, I started by cutting 4.5 inch squares that I then cut in half to make triangles. I sewed pairs of triangles together to make squares again. (Isn't quilting funny sometimes? We cut apart only to sew back together.) There is a certain freedom in using only scraps.I really was just winging this project. I didn't plan how big the runner would be in the end. I didn't count how many triangles or squares I would need. I just went for it.
Once I had what I deemed to be enough squares, I laid them out and started sewing them together in diagonal strips. I used triangles for two of the corners. (At first I started to play around with the pattern. In the end I decided that it was a scrappy project and I could sit there and putz with it all the live ling day or I could just start sewing.)
In an effort to finish off the project in an easy way, I decided to skip binding. Why make this more complicated than it has to be? I did however put some red ric rac between the layers, because I am a firm believer that ric rac makes everything better.

A little simple quilting and I was done. And while this really didn't even begin to make a dent in my scrap collection, I am thrilled with the results. And I can't wait to try some more scrap busting projects.
The printable can be found here. The jars the candy is in were intended to be transformed into apothicary jars. I have the wood and paint, just need to time to do it. Stay tuned to see if they get finished or just get added to the stash of crafting supplies.


I am linking to these wonderful parties this week.
Today's Creative Blog
Making the World Cuter
The Sweet Talk Shop

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice! I think that even I, a novice quilter, can make this. Found you on Keeping it Simple.