I have something to admit to all of you. It has to do with seasons and Holidays and you may not all agree. For some reason, this year, I am ...
Search This Blog
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
T Shirt to Cardigan
Have you ever noticed that when you are looking for something specific it is no where to be found? I have been on the hunt for a basic cardigan/zip up hoodie to wear home from the hospital and those early nursing days. And do you think that I could find one in town that met my criteria? (Okay, maybe I didn't go to every store, but I hit all of the obvious choices.) It was time I took matters into my own hands. I purchased a basic v-neck shirt in XL and went to the sewing machine.
It was very easy and I am thinking this is just the start of my t-shirt to cardigan refashioning days. Here is a quick tutorial so that you can make your own as well. T-Shirt to Cardigan Tutorial
1. Cut your shirt in half down the center front.
2. Sew ribbon along each edge on the right side of the t-shirt. (I used a very small seam allowance here. Probably around 1/8 of an inch.) Be sure to leave about an inch of ribbon at the top and bottom.
3. Turn the ribbon to the inside of the shirt. Press with your iron. Take the extra from the top and bottom and turn under to the inside.
4. Sew along the ribbon on the outside edge. (Again, I used a small seam allowance.) Also, make sure that the ribbon ends are tucked under while sewing to create a finished edge.
5. You can leave your cardigan like this, or make some sort of closure. I choose to make an elastic loop and button closure at the top of the cardigan.
6. Start with elastic cord. (The one I used is actually sold for jewelry, but I use it for this purpose.) I cut a couple of inches and tied it off to make a loop.
7. Sew the loop to the top inside of your cardigan.
8. And finally sew a button to the other side.
An easy and nifty little project. Perfect for maternity, breast feeding, or just hanging out.