Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Flip Flop Fun Shirt

*************************************************************

I know that summer is rapidly coming to an end, but it isn't quite time to pack away our flip flops yet! I recently found this darling skirt for Peachy at a garage sale. My love for all things ric-rac and the price guaranteed that I would not be leaving the sale without the skirt.
A little bit of quick work with the seam ripper and the sequin shell was history. I also ended up taking it in a bit on the sides since it was a size bigger than what Peachy is wearing right now. Perfection!

Now to come up with a top to wear with the skirt. I happened to have this plain shirt from Target on hand. I knew I wanted to do some sort of applique on it. I also decided that it would be fun to change it up from your basic t-shirt style. To do this, I simply cut off the bottom and sleeve hems. I then zig-zagged the edges with a coordinating thread while gently pulling on the knit fabric.
As for the applique, I decided to do a reverse applique of a set of flip flops. If you haven't tried reverse applique, it is fun and easy. You end up cutting the top layer, in this case, the shirt. I like to use Heat and Bond lite with my image drawn on the paper. After adhering the Heat and Bond and cutting out the image, I iron the fabric onto the inside, face up. I like to sew around the image, this is why I use the lite Heat and Bond.
A cute, fun, and inexpensive outfit to finish off summer with a splash!

I link to these fabulous blog link parties.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is such a cute shirt! It looks great with the skirt. What a great find! Cute girl too! I have a party going on over at my blog if you want to join! I'd love to have you! Check it out under the "Stache Party" page on my blog: mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

craftedbymama said...

love this shirt, I think I might make one my size though..

craftedbymama.blogspot.com
amy

sypialnie sklepik waw said...

łóżka do sypialni sklepik
łóżka do sypialni sklepik
łóżka tapicerowane sklepik
łóżka tapicerowane sklepik
materace ortopedyczne sklepik
materace ortopedyczne sklepiki
sypialnie sklepik
sypialnie waw
materace koło waw