Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday: Scrappy Flowers

I have been seeing the cutest accent flowers all over clothes this spring. The mom in me looks at the clothes and thinks how cute they are. The sewer in me looks at how the flowers are made and figures out how to do it myself. I recently whipped up another skirt from my Noodles and Milk Mini Skirt Pattern. I used fabric from my stash and paired it with inexpensive leggings and shirt from Target. This time I added some scrappy flowers to the bottom of the skirt and around the neck of the shirt.

(Here is a picture of the first skirt I made from this pattern last summer. I made a pleated flower pin for Peachy to wear with this skirt.)
To make the flowers, I simply cut fabric into strips and sewed the strips together. I free formed the strips into circles with gathers and folds to make the flowers. Once you start playing around with it, it is really quite easy and fun. (Let me know if you would like a more detailed tutorial.) I will try to get a better picture of the entire outfit, but for now, here is the shirt.

No comments: