Friday, September 18, 2009

Foodie Friday: Summer Squash Squares











Intrigued by the name? Don't be. Really these are zucchini bread made with summer squash instead of zucchini. However when I was Skyping with my sister yesterday we decided that summer squash bread just didn't sound right, so we went to our trusted friend alliteration and came up with summer squash squares. (Apparently alliteration is no friend to the Ecuadorians. You'll have to ask her about that, though.)
A friend recently bestowed several large summer squash on me. (You may remember that I froze the first batch in preparation for baby food.) I decided to do some baking of adult food with this batch. I started by grating the squash. Since I have given away my food processor, I used my box grater. It worked out well. Sure it took a little more time, but I really didn't mind it and it was a great upper body workout. I ended up with a large mixing bowl full of grated squash. I froze the unused squash in two cup portions. That way I can take out just enough for a recipe when I need it in the future.
I first made two loaves of chocolate bread. I thought that I might have to make that recipe up myself, but turned to a trusty Lutheran cookbook and found I one there. It is nice to not have to reinvent the wheel. (Us Lutherans know food.)


Chocolate-Summer Squash Squares

Ingredients:
3 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c vegetable oil
2 c flour
6 T cocoa
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
2 c grated summer squash
1 t vanilla

Directions:
Beat first three ingredients together well. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl. Mix with first three ingredients. Add squash and vanilla. Pour into two greased and floured bread pans. Bake about 1 hour at 325. Cool in pan 10 minutes and remove to wire rack to cool completely.


I also wanted to make plain bread with some yummy mix-ins. I found this recipe from Smitten Kitchen.


Summer Squash Squares with Chocolate Chips and Dried Cranberries

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 c olive or vegetable oil
1 3/4 c sugar
2 c grated summer squash
2 t vanilla extract
3 c all-purpose flour
3 t cinnamon
1/8 t nutmeg
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla.
Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt, chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
Stir this into the egg mixture. Pour into pans.
Bake loaves for about 60 minutes.

No comments: