Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Move Over Petunia

I am not the kind of person who sticks her nose up in the air when it comes to handmade gifts. Quite the contrary. When I receive a handmade gift, I know that much love and thought went into it. I make many things myself and know that just because something is handmade, does not make it inferior to any item that is mass produced. It does my heart good to see sights like Etsy flourishing. I think that Americans are finally realizing that handmade in America trumps mass produced in China in many cases.
I have been busy putting my time and love into handmaking many items for the baby. Part of this comes from frugality. If done correctly, a handmade item can be produced for a lesser price tag than a store bought item. I also like the flexibility handmade items offer. I was able to decorate the baby's room just how I envisioned it by creating my own accesories. I may not have been able to find just what I had wanted in a store.
Okay, I will get off of my soapbox now.
I am not the only one who has been handmaking for this little one. My family has also been hard at work making special little items to welcome this special little child into the world. Currently my mother-in-law is refinishing a rocking chair that we will use to rock the babe back to sleep.
Almost as soon as we broke the baby news, my own mother asked what she could make for him/her. I immediately thought of a diaper bag. I love the new designer diaper bags out there, but I don't love their price tags. (Just Google Petunia Pickle Bottom and you will get the idea.) So, mom went to work and created this fab diaper bag just for me.



She also created this Hungry Caterpillar Quilt.
(Look at the adorable quilting!!)



We came back from Easter with quite the haul. (Or should I say that the baby came back with quite the haul?!!) My mom made the baby this bunny basket for Easter.

My sister created this Darma Initiative-esque onsie.
And my sister-in-law knit this cozy and color appropriate blankie.

Yup, this baby is definitely loved.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous of your family's talent at crafting! I love all of the items, but am especially coveting the hungry caterpillar quilt! Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing with those of us that can't see you as often.

Shannon said...

Oh wow, I love all the handmade items, they are really great!